EVOLUTION OF TE AND SCERT
1. ESTABLISHMENT OF SCERT ORISSA
Government of Orissa
Education and Youth Services Department
Bhubaneswar dated the 1st May 1979
Sub: - Establishment of State council of Education Research and Training - Constitution and Reorganization.
The State Institution of Education has boon re designated as state council of Educational Research and Training in Government Resolution No. 536 dated 05.01.79 with a view to re-orienting its objective with a focus on qualitative improvement of school Education and successful implementation of the scheme of universalisation of Elementary Education. The State council of Educational Research and Training has been established in many of the states of India and the role assigned to the council differs from state to state .However, broadly speaking the various organizations entrusted with the qualitative improvement of Elementary Education have been brought under the umbrella of the state council of Education Research and Training by other States. It is now proposed to evolve an organization which should conform to the pattern adopted by the other States and prescribed by Government of India to the extent warranted by the need of our State. The role of the State Institute of Education was limited to training, extension, research and publication. There were other units in the Education Directorate like science Education, and Educational Technology collection having the objective of qualitative improvement of education. In the context of universalisation of education it is necessary that coordination should be achieved among the various organizations. Keeping this in view the state council of Educational Research and Training has been established .In order to Training to play its part effectively, Government after careful consideration have decided that the construction and the role of the state council of Education Research and Training shall be as follows:-
- The State council of Education Research and Training shall be academic wing of the Directorate of Education and the Director of the public Instruction (Higher Education) will be its controlling authority. The Director, state council of Education Research and Training will exercise such powers and functions as will be delegated to him by the Director of public Instruction.
- The function of the state council of Educational Research and Training shall be-
- To act as an agent of change in school education, non-formal education and teacher education.
- To control and supervise the working of the elementary teacher training institutions,(Secondary training schools and elementary training schools) and to coordinate the work of the teacher training colleges.
- To arrange in service training to different category of teachers ,inspecting officers and teacher Educators and to coordinate the work of other agencies operating at the State level.
- To organize programmers including correspondence –cum-contact courses for professional development of teachers, teacher educators and inspecting officers.
- The produce curricula, instructional materials, text books for the use of educational institutions, teachers of pre schools and elementary schools.
- To provide extension services to teacher training institutions at all levels in the State.
- To coordinate the work of extension service controls of the teacher training institutions in the State.
- To organize and implement the special educational projects sponsored by UNICEFF, NCERT and other agencies for qualitative improvement of school education, teacher education and supervision of education.
- To prescribe curricula and text books for the schools and teacher training centers.
- To produce instructional materials for the use of teacher educations.
- To conduct studies and investigations on the various problem of education.
- To evaluate the adult and non-formal educational programme or any other programme that will be instructed to it by the D.P.I or Government.
- To conduct public examination specially at terminal stages like end of the class iii and class iv etc.With a view to controlling quality of education and selecting candidates for scholarships through such examinations.
- The State council of Educational Research and Training shall have a programme Advisory committee consisting of the following members. The committee shall meet at least once a year for drawing up the programme for the next year and review of the progress of work.
|3.||Director of public Instruction (Higher Education)||Member.|
|5.||Addl.D.P.I. (Adult Education)||Member.|
|7.||Vice Chancellor, Utkal University or his nominee who should be a member of the syndicate||Member.|
|8.||President, Board of Secondary Education.||Member.|
|9.||Deputy Secretary, Education Department (dealing with matters pertaining to the SCERT).||Member.|
|10.||Principal of one of the Training Colleges to be nominated by the D.P.I.||Member.|
|11.||Principal Regional college of Education.||Member.|
|12.||Field adviser NCERT, Bhubaneswar||Member.|
|13.||Two non-official educationists to be nominated by Government||Member.|
|15.||Head Master of a Training school to be nominated by the DPI||Member.|
|16.||A representative of the Directorate of Health.||Member.|
|17.||A representative of the Directorate of Agriculture.||Member.|
|18.||Director, State council of educational Research and Training.||Member.|
- Beside, the State council of educational Research and Training shall have a programme Review committee council of the following members:-
|1.||Secretary, Education Department||Chairman.|
|2.||D.P.I. (Higher Education)||Member.|
|3.||Directory, State council of Education Research and Training.||Member Secretary.|
- The existing units of the SCERT, the science Education unit E.T.Coll and the publication and publicity unit of the office of the D.P.I shall be brought together and reorganized to form the following Department of the SCERT.
- Department of Pre-School and Elementary Education.
- Department of Teacher Education and In-Service Education.
- Department of Extension services and school Management.
- Department of Examination Reform and Guidance.
- Department of Research coordination.
- Department of Examinational Survey and Statistical.
- Department of Science and Mathematics Education.
- Department of curriculum Research and Special curriculum Renewal projects.
- Department of Adult and non-formal Education.
- Department of Educational Technology.
- Department of Work Education and aesthetic Education.
- Department of publication and publicity.
- The following Departments may be created in the state council of Educational Research and Training in future:-
- Department of Tribal Education.
- Department of population Education.
- Department of correspondence courses and continuing Education.
- Department of language Teaching.
- Department of social studies.
- Department of Health Nutrition and child care.
- Department of physical Education.
- Department of Monitoring.
- The Director, SCERT shall be competent to effect internal re-organization of the Department for implementation various programme from time to time. He shall also be competent to transfer the staff members from one Department to the other and to change the size of the Department to the other and to change the size of the Departments according to need.
- The state council of Education Research and Training shall functions a counter for advanced study and Research in Education and can be involved in proposal the students for the M.A,M.phill,and ph.D.Degrees in Education.
- The Director, SCERT shall have the following functions and powers in addition to those indicated above:-
- He shall exercise control over the Inspectors of schools and Sub-ordinate officers for implementing the Teacher Education programme, conducting Evaluation, surveys and Monitering, organizing Experimental and Innovative work and for implementing other programmes approved by the programme advisory committee and the State Government.
- He shall submit an annual Report on the position of teacher Education in the state and another Report on Educational Research to the Government.
- Order that the Resolution be published in the next issue of the Orissa Gazette and copies be supplied to allconeer need.
By order of the Governor
Secretary to Government
Memo No.16049 EYS. DT, 01/05/79
Copy forwarded to Director, Printing Stationary and Publication orissa, Cuttack with a request to publish the Resolution in the next issue of orissa Gazette and supply 100 copies to the Education and Youth Services Department.
Deputy Secretary to Government
Memo No.16050 EYS. DT, 01/05/79
Copy forwarded to Director of Public Instruction Orissa /Addl.Director of public Instruction(S) Orissa / Addl.Director of public Instruction (Adult Education) and Director SCERT Bhubaneswar for information and necessary action.
Deputy Secretary to Government
Memo No.16051 EYS. DT, 01/05/79
Copy forwarded to Jt.Secretary to Government of India Ministry of Education and Social Welfare Department of Education Shastri Bhawan New Delhi /Jt. Director NCERT Sri Aurobindo Marg New Delhi /Field Adviser NCERT at Plot No.119 Budheswari Colony, Bhubaneswar 751066/All Department of Government and All Heads of the Department / Registrar Utkal University / President Board of Secondary Education Orissa Cuttack and Principal Regional College of Education Bhubaneswar for information and necessary action.
Deputy Secretary to Government Sarat